Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Back to Work

We returned from our weekend fully satisfied with our travels. We eased into Monday and enjoyed the morning off from work. We took off to the Botanical Gardens for a couple of hours. Brazil, for being such a poor country with rundown buildings and homes, has the most beautiful gardens scattered throughout the cities. We took it all in, along with several photos and then headed to lunch before returning to the University. I spent my afternoon in cardiology and was shocked to find out how much I loved it. I remember leaving the cardio section of physio last semester with more questions than answers, but the cardiologist in Brazil helped answer many of those. When a sweet German Shepherd showed up, I was able to hear my first Atrial Fibrilliation and will never forget it. The brazilians like to joke that it sounds like "an American playing Samba" but I prefer the "shoe in a dryer" description for personal reasons! She talked us through EKGs and Echocardiograms. We saw a pleural effusion and learned about a rare case called Chagas Disease. It is caused by Trypanosoma cruzi and results in sudden death in many cases, mostly because it is poorly diagnosed. I was even able to help edit her post in English on VIN so she could get more information on the case herself! I think this was the day I appreciated most so far in Brazil. I can only imagine how frustrating it could be to have two American first year veterinary students following you, but she went above and beyond the role which meant more than she will ever know.


 
(Here I am learning how to properly ID during an ECHO)


Tuesday was a whole new adventure, per usual. We began in my favorite department: surgery. A canine came in with a bullet lodged in it's metatarsals. The resident was to take lead on the procedure but it ended up being messier than originally thought so the ortho surgeon came and saved the day. Something that took all of us off guard was the fact the this patient was covered in fleas. They continued after discovering this news as if it was no big deal. Certainly, that would never be the case in a sterile surgical suite in the States. Again, one of the many differences in practicing within a different country.
That afternoon we went to the University Farm with the exotics department. We saw more avian species than I could believe. Every building had a different type and the buildings never ended! We were taught proper bird handling again but with several parrots and species that I had not worked with prior. The exotic residents taught us how to quickly examine all of them and properly, making sure to check wings, beaks, and of course complete physical exams. It was a long afternoon but time flies by quickly when working with beautiful animals of vibrant colors!
(This was my favorite bird, a hybrid Macaw. 
Seriously beautiful but sadly not easy to handle at all and thus, slightly dangerous) 


The following morning we spent with an Agriculture class. The professor was the large animal veterinarian that we had met before at the gym. He was lecturing on ultrasonography and pregnancy in goats. We met a man who began a project called "urban goats" in order to help third world countries. The thought is that if he can create an urban environment in which goats can thrive without being dangerous (ie the males) and yet still get pregnant, then a society can benefit from their milk and other dairy products. They eat anything so it would be ideal and low upkeep, the problem is keeping the male away from the females until they are in heat and then bringing them together in the hopes of natural fertilization. I loved the conversation and learned so much from both of these men. I hope to hear about the project and it's success in the future.
(When performing a rectal ultrasound, the individual can "see" the image in the goggles and freeze the frame to show others.) 

That afternoon I returned to cardio but with a different partner, Rica. Since I had been there before she had me try and teach the different parts of an Echo instead. I needed some help, but was proud of how much I had retained. All in all a wonderful end to another wonderful day. Beginning to dread the arrival Friday when it all comes to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment