Saturday, May 25, 2013

A break from Brazil

Brazil is amazing, I know you are sick of hearing this from me. So how about I tell you about how amazing Argentina is instead?

Real quick, I should tell you that the reason I began this blog was because I am in a Brazil for veterinary experience. I am even receiving course credit for traveling abroad (insane I know). In order to "grade" my class progress, I must turn in a paper, journal or blog which highlights my experiences, both veterinary and cultural. Clearly, I chose a blog and that is what you are enjoying at this exact moment. While I will be talking about my animal experience in most of my posts, I also want to share the cultural moments and the situations I find myself involved in daily. Skip the vet stuff if you want, or skip the "humorous stories" if you'd rather. That is why there is a bit of everything for everyone. With that said, it was the weekend...so there was no veterinary work to write about which means that I will tell you about my weekend adventures! This weekend I went to Argentina...and I didn't want to leave.

IguaƧu Falls is one of the natural Wonders of the World. It is shared by Brazil and Argentina but we heard that the Argentina side is worth the trip. It definitely did not disappoint. When we first got there, we went crazy chasing around butterflies. I had never seen so many different types in one area. the funny thing is, that they were everywhere and would land on you left andright the entire 5 hiurs we were there. If I was a worker at the falls I would laugh at the visiters because they clearly (like us) feel like idiots after 30 minutes when they realize that these insects are not rare. You can get photos of them all day. No need to waste your first 30 minutes chasing them around the entrance. 

After we got over the "butterfly excitement" we spent an entire day hiking in Argentina to view the 3 gorgeous layers of the falls. The top was first, where we saw the river spill over the top with unreal force and strength! The second layer was my favorite. It was the most gorgeous view of rainbows and butterflies...literally. Oh and waterfalls of course! 
The third layer was crazy. Once at the bottom, we took a boat ride...we were told this is a Must while at the falls. Can I just say that all the people we saw walking up did not appear to look that wet. Joke was on us! We got on the boat with a bunch of young kids who ran to the front to get the best view I assume? My camera is not waterproof so I did not mind being in the back. However, I decided to be a bit of a dare devil and take my cell phone out while on the boat. It takes you directly near the falls and you get the most amazing and beautiful views. I quickly snapped some photos, then the worker on the boat gestured that I should put it away so I zipped it up in my jacket hurriedly. As soon as I did, the driver went straight for the falls. He turned sharp and then what do you know, the back side of the boat right where I was gets completely submerged. Honestly, I am pretty sure I was literally underwater at one point. He did this several times and every time it was only our side. I ws sure that my phone was a goner. We got back to the dock, I slipped and slid every direction while trying to walk back to land...finally I checked my phone and God clearly sent his angels to watch over me (more specifically, my phone). It was fine, my pictures survived! 
(Right before we went under those falls...)

Sunday was my first relaxing day. I was sunny and beautiful. We got some much needed sleep and then spent the day in the sun. Rica and I layed near the pool and read all afternoon. Went on a walk that evening and then went to bed early. It was such a perfect end to a wonderful weekend. 

Monday began a whole new experience; a trip to the Parque das Aves to spend the day with an avian veterinarian, Mathias. Get ready for the next post because the day of birds was completely interesting!

1 comment: