Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Lost in Translation

I woke up to a chilly and foggy day here in Foz do Iguaću. It was quite interesting this morning to see how different this traveling experience is for me as compared for the others staying at the hostel. While eating breakfast, in strolled a group of inebriated individuals only just returning from a night out. I should mention that it was 615am...impressive display by these foreign partiers. We have yet to go out and experience night life on this trip, but perhaps this weekend it will occur. I'll keeps you posted of course. But for now, I will remain in their eyes as a "lame" American. (Note: not happy with that title).

Anyways, no travel glitches today, smooth 45 minute bus ride to the Refúgio Biolólogico and let me tell you, it was one exciting day. It began with a couple of necropsies, deer (veado) and rabbit (coehlo). For those who may not know, because I suppose not everyone is fluent in veterinary terminology, a necropsy is an autopsy performed on an animal. This was a highlight of the trip for me! I realize that I slightly geek out when I say that, but you must know that anatomy is my favorite subject. I want to be a surgeon, so seeing the internal world of an animal is incredibly mesmerizing in my opinion. Yet, the best part of the necropsies was that it we were with two technicians that speak zero (to minimal) English. As a result, we came up with a game...point to an organ and say it in your language and the other responds with their language. I now know how to speak medical Portuguese! Have I said how much I love this place? Because clearly I do, more and more every day.

After the morning of necropsies, we ordered lunch and worked on translating Zalmir's book. It is filled with endless information on wildlife veterinary medicine; I can't help but become distracted by the pages. Raquel and Rafaella, the two adorable technicians/students that work for Zalmir, joined us where we taught each other the alphabets, numbers, body parts and important phrases in the others' language. It was beyond entertaining, especially whenever we taught a English word with "th" because this does not exist in their language, thus "teeth" would leave their mouths as "teef"! I had yet to laugh this hard on our trip so far and may have received sore abs because of it.

This potentially could have lasted all day, thank goodness we have 4 weeks still, but Zalmir ran in splitting the group in two. One group went with him to go dart a sick deer and bring it in to the hospital for emergency treatment. Sadly, this was not my adventure to partake in. But before he left, he grabbed me and led me to his chair, telling me to read an article on his computer. Low and behold it is on turtle shell repair! I had done a lab on this with the exotics club at Purdue last fall! He tells me to go into the treatment room and assess a turtle that had been brought in after a car ran over it, he will be back in a bit and wants a treatment plan upon his arrival. Well crap. A million thoughts ran through my head, beginning with...I am screwed. I am a measly first year (well technically second), doesn't he understand that I don't know anything? But my second thought was typical Tessa, those who know me will agree. "I can do this! No, no. I will do this and I am confident that I will impress him." Sometimes you need to pat yourself on the back to get rid of the fear and do what you know you can. Well, funny enough...I stared at the turtle with my classmate and we decided that there was no repair necessary. The skin and peritoneum were not exposed or broken and the shell seemed to have already began healing. After completing a physical exam, we went over the diagnosis about 10 times but felt confident in our final assessment. We told him confidently (somewhat) and he smiled. "Good job, you passed the test!" The turtle had been hit months ago and would be fine. Moments like these, although small and someone unimportant, are significant to new students like me; affirmation at it's best. 

Ok enough about that, now for the last part of the day. The emergency: a deer with hemorrhagic disease; the same disease that took the life of our earlier necropsy. The animal came in, shocked without a doubt. First things first, we need blood. The technician tried to hit the jugular, failed. A classmate of mine tried, no such luck. Of course, I was (politely) giving instructions to help from across the table which Zalmir noted and gestured for me to shut up and come show how it was done then. Well, this could be bad. Everyone has their unlucky days, even the most experienced person; which I'm sure was the case for those before me. But thank my Father in heaven, because today was not one of those for me. I hit the jug and the beautiful red blood flowed into my tubes. Affirmation número two, a high five from Zalmir. 

It was the most amazing, and impressive, thing; the entire time we treated the deer, Zalmir would ask for our advice. What should he do? What would we do? Colloid or crystalloid infusion? Why is he doing this or giving that drug? What is the physiology? He had me calculate dosages and talk about side affects. While being a student and learning so much, I have never felt like a colleague at the same time as much as I did today. Zalmir is truly one of a kind. I am beyond fortunate to be able to work with him and already call him a friend. Thrilled for the remainder of our time together and dreading when it ends.

While I am typing this, completely exhausted after rising early, traveling 2 hours round trip and working all day, I must say that I wouldn't trade this opportunity for a second. My fellow hostel-mates can have their drunken nights. I am blessed with this experience. Time for a sober and hard night's sleep; tomorrow, we work with monkeys.

2 comments: